Thursday, March 28, 2013

Coffee Filter Bouquet

Hello everyone, Eileen here with you today.  Spring is almost here! It's always so exciting to see the bulbs and new life popping up everywhere. In anticipation, I have been having fun with my 3D flower dies. Here's a bouquet for you!



Coffee filters make beautiful paper flowers. They are the perfect weight and work great with mists and inks to create a nice watercolor effect. The price is right- I bought a package of 700 filters for $2.79 at Costco. They come in two colors- white, which are great for custom coloring, and kraft, which grunge up really nicely.

Visit my blog to see a video tutorial on how I made the flowers.

These were the flower dies used in creating the bouquet:



Flowers:
  1. Die cut a stack of eight to ten coffee filters with the Big Shot. I used five flower dies- it's fun to take parts from different flowers and make your own combinations. I made some large, small and medium sized flowers to give interest to the bouquet. 
  2. For full rounded flowers, stack about ten to twelve same-sized petals on top of each other and secure with a brad in the middle. For flowers with a flatter middle, stack small and large flowers. 
  3. Take each separate petal and scrunch into the middle of the flower. 
  4. Fluff it out. 
This method also works great with tissue paper, kraft wrapping/packaging paper and crepe paper.



Adding color:
  1. Stamp dye ink on a non-stick craft mat and mist the ink with water. 
  2. Holding the flower by the back, touch the petal edges to the ink. The ink will wick up giving a cool ombre look. You can also spray the flower itself with water before adding ink. 
  3. If you want more than one color, just add more inks on the craft mat and randomly dip in several colors. Sometimes the combinations are good and sometimes you may not like them. If this happens, you can spray them with water and blot. The color seems slightly less intense after drying. 
  4. Die cut leaves and color in the same way. Allow them to air-dry or use a heat tool to speed drying along. 
WARNING: Be sparing with the inks- too many colors will make a big mess and turn the colors muddy.









Stems:

  1. Wrap a pipe cleaner around the prongs of the brads on the back of each flower and secure with hot glue. 
  2. Add leaves to the stems with hot glue. 
Create an arrangement and when it is to your liking, wrap the stems with another pipe cleaner.
Place in vase or other container.





Best wishes for a beautiful spring and a blessed Easter!

Eileen




There is no end to the ideas of projects you can create with Eileen Hull's flower dies.  For even more ideas, check out this collection of flower themed die cutting projects featuring Eileen's dies in the Sizzix.com project gallery!
Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Such a lovely way to celebrate Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Hope Spring has sprung down your way- it's not here yet...

      Delete
  2. Beautiful flowers Eileen! Fabulous inking technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bow to you as the master of all things technique-y, Anna-Karin :-) Thanks for your kind comment!

      Delete
  3. Perfect as we wait for our gardens to bloom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't wait Beejay! I love flowers, especially the spring ones...

      Delete
  4. Video tutorial?!? Susan's here, going, "Yes, yes, yes!" Off we go ~
    http://eileenhull.blogspot.com/2013/03/coffee-filter-flowers.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it helped Laurel- I am still learning the ins and outs of videos :-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous!!! I'm not a coffee drinker but somehow I ended up with several lonely packages of coffee filters in my pantry. Now I know how to transform them into beautiful bouquets! Thanks, Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carmen, I don't drink coffee either... but my husband does. We never run out of filters - I always need to have them on hand for crafting :-)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing a great idea, I've ALL the supplies. I'm off to see the video and enjoy the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a nice feeling to have all the supplies so you are ready to go whenever you want? Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  7. This is just Awesome....can't wait to try this!! thank you.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly- can I just say your work is amazing? Love all you have been doing with Karen's PNC's!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful flowers!! These would be lovely for my Easter table. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richele- oooh yes, they would be so pretty as a centerpiece! Mine are next to my computer at the moment because they make me happy. Thanks for all of your great work on the blog- love seeing what you do...

      Delete
  9. OMG, Eileen. These are gorgeous, and I think I have almost all of those dies. Going to have to pull them out and make me some pretty flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful. Hats off to you Eileen. You're so creative. The art of making paper flower from coffee filters is an interesting one. I'll try to make it for there are some children in my house they will love it.

    Regards,
    Finn Felton
    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finn- thanks for your comment! Hope you are have fun

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...